This 2002 UK Gold Proof Sovereign features a different reverse, showing the crowned shield of the Royal Arms in celebration of the Queen's Golden Jubilee. The obverse bears the portrait of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- Each coin weighs 7.98g and is struck in 22ct gold, equaling 7.32g of Fine Gold Content.
- Minted by the Royal Mint, UK.
- VAT free and Capital Gains Tax exempt.
- Proof Finish.
- Dimensions: Diameter: 22.05mm Thickness: 1.52mm.
- Supplied in a presentation box with a certificate of authenticity.
Modern British sovereigns have been struck both at the Royal Mint and at branch mints since 1817. The first mint outside of the UK to strike sovereigns was Sydney. The Melbourne Mint followed in 1872, then the Perth Mint in 1899 the Canadian Mint in 1908 the Bombay mint in 1918, and the South African Mint in 1923.
The gold sovereign is one of Britain’s most famous coins, the first of which was minted in 1489 by King Henry VII, due to its long history it is considered by many as the flagship coin of the Royal Mint.
The photographs show the type of coin you will receive, not the exact item.